Friday, November 23, 2007

re-introduce or shun away

Poll Question:

There is always the debate of whether or nor the homeless want to again be part of main stream society? To many, the homeless are "their own people" and if they had not made their own bad decisions they would not be homeless. The main stream society pays little attention to the homeless except during the holiday seasons. Many donate to the Goodwill, Salvation Army or help out in a soup kitchen, it is societies way to make sure they are taken care of; however during the rest of the year we either shun them or pretend to care by starting groups and organizations or raising money that will dictate their lives, meals, education, decisions. This leads me to the poll... I start to wonder how many people think the majority of homeless want help, if they want help at all, or is it one type of homeless that wants help?. Please take a few moments to think this over and vote.

2 comments:

rbutera said...

Ken, this is great question to ask of the homeless. I am not sure how to answer the poll though. I think the audience that the poll is directed to is askew. I would think that a survey of the homeless would be more productive (albeit more work to obtain). Or are you simply curious to the non-homeless perception of the homeless?

Ken Ballard said...

Hey there Rick...

The intent of the poll is to simply and quickly determine how "non-homeless" percerve the homless, more percicesly if "we" believe that the majority of the homeless want to be helped.

thanks for seeing the next steps... I do plan on conducting a survey with homeless and once again later on running this poll again and then using the results in a compartative manor. I feel that I need a controll poll that gets "real opinion" (less informed) first and then an more informed opinion.

I want a larger sampling, maybe I should hold a caucses to get beter results... or I can just extend timeline.